The new computing center installed in the CITI has three groups of equipment (7 servers), and with a different purpose of use:
- ▸ A group of 4 servers for calculation in GPUs, including 16 Nvidia Kepler K40 cards (4 per server) and 1 TB of RAM (256 GB per server). This type of cluster has been designed for works focusing on simulation of fluids or particles, atmospheric calculations, intelligent vehicles, ADAS systems, etc.
- ▸ A Haswell 72c server for handling large files. The equipment has 1 TB of RAM, 72 processing cores (576 threads) and 86.4 TB for storage in SAN cabins. The objective works of this type of server focus on genomics, proteomics or text mining.
- ▸ Two servers for virtualization and storage:
- ▹ The first one, with 4 processors E5-4600 (40c), 512 GB of RAM and 6 SAS disks of 3 TB (18 TB). This server is intended for virtualization of Windows or Linux operating systems based on hardware previously specified by the user.
- ▹ The second one, with 2 Xeon E5v2 processors, 128 GB RAM and 12 4 TB SAS disks (48 TB). This server is focused on services and storage of data such as: storage in the cloud, backups, external disks, etc.
The "High Performance Scientific Calculation Server Project", UNVI13-1E-2743, linked to the call for aid of 2013 to infrastructure and scientific-technical equipment (State subprogram of scientific and technical infrastructures and equipment), co-financed by the Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness and with ERDF funds to 80%; aims to create a center for the calculation of intermediate output, placing it between large supercomputing centers and those owned by companies or research groups. However, it will also combine the advantages of both computing models:
- ▸ Calculation power, both CPU and GPU, and centralization associated with maintenance of equipment; extrapolated from the large supercomputing centers although on a smaller scale.
- ▸ Improvement in the management of users, both logical and physical access to the equipment, being able to also store large amounts of data on the servers permanently.