The mission of the CITI is the development of R&D&I in companies. The Centro de Investigación, Transferencia e Innovación (CITI), is a new center created by the University of Vigo in collaboration with the Xunta de Galicia in 2005. The CITI seeks to promote the development of R&D&I in companies, by creating spaces of collaboration to favor and transfer knowledge from the University to the business network through the development of joint R&D&I projects related to the Agro-food, biotechnology, energy, environment and information technologies. The structure of the CITI and its location in the Parque Tecnolóxico de Galicia (TECNOPOLE), facilitates the transfer of the technologies developed in the Campus of Ourense. The building is a core element for carrying out the research, innovation and knowledge transfer tasks of the Campus of Ourense, where the University is related to the companies and develops joint projects based on the transfer of acquired knowledge, where innovative ideas about the ones that build new companies. The CITI is composed of four cylindrical buildings and an industrial unit. Among the four cylindrical modules are a total of 11 laboratories, 3 technical plants and the R&D&I project office of the Campus of Ourense. In support of research and transfer of knowledge to productive sectors, the CITI also has a pilot plant. Transfer knowledge from the University to the business network through the development of joint projects. Be a source of innovative ideas from which to build new companies. Create knowledge from research.
"Innovative ideas on which to build companies"
Creation of the CITI as a result of an agreement between the University of Vigo and the Xunta de Galicia.
Inauguration of the facilities in the Tecnopole, with an investment of more than 4 million euros. Participation in the Real project, funded by the Interreg Program POCTEP, to develop a network of resources, information and knowledge with the aim of promoting innovation in the agro-food sector (North-Galicia Food Innovation Network).
Creation of a new line of materials in the pilot plant through an INNPLANTA aid from the Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness. The Labmat project was oriented to the production and evaluation of new advanced biodegradable materials, with the challenge of positioning the CITI as a reference center for research, development, transfer and innovation in this field.
Approval of the rules of internal use. After the University of Vigo approved the operating regulations of its research support centers, the CITI adapted its internal protocols. Signing of agreements for the management of laboratories. The CITI has several research laboratories managed by groups of the University of Vigo. The first agreements that facilitated the assignment of laboratories for three years were signed with 10 groups.
Assignment of space to the biotech company Glecex to develop its business project in the field of natural extracts for food and cosmetics.
Launch of a high performance scientific computing server, with high computing power, high data storage capacity and a virtualization unit, thanks to an aid of the Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness.
Incorporation of entrepreneurs in the framework of the INCUVI-Avanza program of the University of Vigo, whose objective is to extend support, by subsidizing the costs of staying in CITI spaces, to the most viable business projects awarded with the INCUVI-Emprende awards. The companies Meigalabs and iBeeagro were the winners of this first call. Inauguration of the computing center with several research groups of the Campus of Ourense as users.
High Performance Scientific Calculation Server Project
DESCRIPTION The "High Performance Scientific Calculation Server Project", UNVI13-1E-2743, linked to the call for aid of 2013 to infrastructure and scientific-technical equipment (State subprogram of scientific and technical infrastructures and equipment), co-financed by the Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness and with ERDF funds to 80%; aims to create a center for the calculation of intermediate output, placing it between large supercomputing centers and those owned by companies or research groups. However, it will also combine the advantages of both computing models:
- ▸ Calculation power, both CPU and GPU, and centralization associated with maintenance of equipment; extrapolated from the large supercomputing centers although on a smaller scale.
- ▸ Improvement in the management of users, both logical and physical access to the equipment, being able to also store large amounts of data on the servers permanently.
- ▸ Ephyslab group (Environmental PHYSics LABoratory).
- ▸ AA1 group (Agro-food research).
- ▸ SING group (Sistemas Informáticos de Nueva Generación).
- ▸ LIA2 group (Laboratorio de Informática Aplicada).
- ▸ Termophysics group.
- ▸ MILE group (Biomedical Informatics & Signal Processing).
- ▸ Create a "high-performance scientific calculation center" at an intermediate level, placing it between large supercomputing centers and those owned by companies or research groups.
- ▸ Provide high-performance computing equipment, both CPU and GPU, and capable of managing large volumes of data to: research groups from the Campus of Ourense, other groups from the University of Vigo and companies from the Tecnópole and/or nearby industrial parks such as San Cibrao das Viñas or Pereiro de Aguiar, or other companies in general.
- ▸ Calculation server SIE Landon GPUs Rack.
- ▸ File server SIE Ladon Haswell 72c.
- ▸ Virtualization server SIE Ladon IB E5-4600 40c.
DESCRIPTION The Real Project aims to develop a network to share resources, information and knowledge to foster innovation in the agro-food sector (Food Innovation Network Northern Portugal - Galicia). This project proposes the formal creation of a Cooperation Network at the level of innovation, the creation of a technological base to support the Network and the diffusion of information, research and technology transfer. The Real Project has a budget of more than 2 million euros and is co-financed by 75% by the European Union, through the Cross-Border Cooperation Program Spain-Portugal 2007-2013. This project will allow a greater approximation between the actors, being a real forum for debate, analysis and problem solving, in a transregional and multinational perspective. It is also aimed at allowing the exchange and cooperation between companies in Galicia and Northern Portugal, taking advantage of the complementarity of the sector at different levels, with different market perspectives. OBJECTIVES
- ▸ Add the critical mass representative of the agro-food sector of the Euro-region, through the constitution of a forum for approach and integrated Research and Development.
- ▸ Position the REAL Network as a reference platform for the sector in the region, fostering the image of cohesion, both internal and external, with the aim of transforming the Network into a solid base for international competitive activities.
- ▸ To create a network of collaboration between the Research and Development Institutions and Agro-food Enterprises.
- ▸ Improve the integration of SMEs in the Network and facilitate their approach to the Research Centers that will act as interlocutors of their needs and promoters of new opportunities for innovation.
- ▸ Promoting R & D & I activities in the sector (especially in the more traditional sector) that stimulate technological innovation and boost competitiveness in the border areas, through the interaction between the private agri-food sector and the R & D & I Institutions in both sides of the border, thus promoting precompetitive and competitive research in projects of interest to the Euro-region.
DESCRIPTION The LABMAT project "Laboratory of advanced materials sustainable", aims to alleviate the shortcomings of the CITI in equipment for the production and evaluation of new advanced biodegradable materials, enabling it to act autonomously, so that it can be constituted as a center of reference for research, development, transfer and innovation in this field. The search for new materials with improved properties or characteristics is a field of research of permanent interest. In recent years, composite materials are being imposed given their high mechanical performance and lightness. Of particular interest is the fact that these materials have a biodegradable character and that they use renewable, abundant and low-cost materials of lignocellulosic biomass and/or by-products of the food industry. With the acquisition of the equipment included in the LABMAT project, it will be possible to deepen the production of composite materials, starting from thermoplastic and biodegradable matrices, and reinforced with cellulosic fibers. It will also be possible to work in the fermentative production of biodegradable polymers or precursors thereof and the formulation and evaluation of composite materials. These are aspects that have an evident scientific relevance, from the point of view of novelty, and with a clear industrial technological interest, since these are equipments that allow to work at pilot plant scale, the benefit for the sectors and the companies involved, is clearly related to the generation of products and/or services close to the bought and generators of wealth in the short to medium term. The project contains all the necessary actions to acquire the aforementioned equipment and to obtain, subsequently, the greatest performance of the same through the development of different lines of research that will materialize in autonomous and/or collaborative research projects, and/or the provision of services to companies, so that the much needed transfer of knowledge can be achieved from academy to industry, and external financing to amortize acquisitions and finance the center. OBJECTIVES
- ▸ To provide the requesting institution, the CITI, the possibility of completing the phases of experimental development, property evaluation and cost-efficiency estimation in two fields of growing importance and bright future (fully biodegradable composite materials derived from biomass and bioplastics obtained by sustainable processes).
- ▸ Contribute to the generation of new knowledge and new technologies that result in transfer of results to the industries of the sector.
- ▸ To serve as support to the industries of the sector, through technological advice and provision of services derived from the infrastructures that are requested.
- ▸ To strengthen the relations of the CITI with the agents of science, technology and industries, so that it becomes a nucleus of concentration of R & D & I efforts in the sector, and acts as a catalyst for practical initiatives in the field of materials.
- ▸ To place the CITI as a national and international reference center in the two lines of work mentioned in the previous point, promoting national and international cooperation activities.
- ▸ To improve the position of the CITI in science-technology-industry structure of Galicia, as well as its role in the new technologies of advanced materials.
- ▸ Provide new opportunities to establish synergies between CITI and other research institutions or industries to undertake new developments in the field of materials, through initiatives funded by competitive or non-competitive ways.
- ▸ Provide higher added value to local resources of the primary sector and to the products of the industrial sectors involved.
- ▸ Contribute to the economic and social development of the country.
- ▸ Fours SAIs (Eaton).
- ▸ Cell disruptorCONSTANT SYSTEM.
- ▸ Extruder EUROLAB.
- ▸ Universal testing machine SHIMADZU AUTOGRAHP 50 KN.
- ▸ Ultracentrifuge BECKMANN COULTER.
- ▸ Water permeator analyzer SYSTECH ILLINOIS model 7001.
- ▸ Oxygen permeator analyzer SYSTECH ILLINOIS model 8001.
- ▸ Head space analyzer CHECKMATE 3 and oxygen permeator analyzer PERMMATE.